Modifying service token is not allowed

I am getting the error “Modifying service token is not allowed” while trying to redeploy the serverless.yml. I am not sure why it doesn’t allow to update the resource. Any help will be appriciatted.

function defined as below:

studentContentEvent:
handler: studentContent
name: clapi-{self:provider.stagePrifix}-studentContent package: artifact: ./artifacts/studentContent.zip events: - s3: bucket: {self:provider.contentBucket}
events:
- s3:ObjectCreated:*
existing: true

Resoure is created as below:

ContentBucket:
Type: AWS::S3::Bucket
Properties:
BucketName: ${self:provider.contentBucket}
VersioningConfiguration:
CorsConfiguration:
CorsRules:
- AllowedHeaders:
- “"
AllowedMethods:
- “GET”
- “PUT”
AllowedOrigins:
- "

MaxAge: 3000
ExposedHeaders:
- x-amz-version-id
- Server

For any future visitors, I had the same issue when using sls-deploy through Github CI. I was installing it on the fly before running the deploy. I realised this would install the latest version of serverless every time which might contain bugs as they release regularly to npm.

After I locked it to the older version (2.28.7) that was working fine on my local machine, it fixed this issue.

I was given the same error because some how sls deploy generated function name myfunctionname-undefined-resource-apigw-cw-role on CustomDashresourceDashapigwDashcwDashroleLambdaFunction on the cloudformation template instead of the default stage dev. Specifying stage with command sls deploy --stage dev fixed it

1 Like

This worked for me as well

I’m getting this problem too. --stage dev fixes it, but can anyone explain why it’s happening it and what needs to be done to avoid it?

I’m seeing this error in version 3.34.0 and unfortunately, none of the things mentioned in this thread have resolved it.

Version information:

Framework Core: 3.34.0 (local) 3.33.0 (global)
Plugin: 6.2.3
SDK: 4.3.2

What I’m doing:
Trying to deploy a stage named prod after deploying the default dev stage for an app. The stages are in the same provider. I set up a project, then ran sls deploy, which was successful, followed by sls deploy --stage prod which is where I encountered the error.

The message I’m getting:

Error:
UPDATE_FAILED: CustomApiGatewayAccountCloudWatchRole (Custom::ApiGatewayAccountRole)
Modifying service token is not allowed.

What I’ve tried:

1. Using different stage names. E.g. main.
  2. Using a custom provider.logs.restApi.role and setting provider.logs.restApi.roleManagedExternally to true as suggested by @Zambonilli.
  3. Deploying the “prod” stage to a separate “service” in Serverless.

Whatever I do, anything but the default dev stage results in that error. Has this still not been resolved?

In my case this was caused by the stackName property being the same for both stages.