Having Trouble Following the GoLang Example

I’ve been following this blog post in an attempt to create a Golang Lambda function: Serverless Framework example for Golang and Lambda

I’m very much a newcomer to Golang (though not to programming), so I’m doing my best to muddle through. Unfortunately, following the given steps results in errors. I’ve done my best to push through and solve them, relying on experience with other programming languages, but the more issues I encounter the more I feel I simply must be missing something at the start and just getting further and further off track.

The issue starts when I try to run the make command. I get the error: no required module provides package github.com/aws/aws-lambda-go/events: go.mod file not found in current directory or any parent directory. I also get the same error, for aws-lamdba-go/lambda.

Alright, a little Googling, it’s a dependency manager. Cool, blog post must have just missed that, I’ll just get that installed. Now I start running into issues with ‘inconsistent vendoring’ which I’m simply unable to fix no matter what I try, and the more I stray from the blog post the more I think I must be missing something that Golang developers would have known to be self evident many steps ago.

TL;DR: is the blog post perfectly fine and I’m missing something blindingly obvious? Is the blog post missing details, or perhaps out of date? Is there a different resource I should be following?

Thanks in advance!