Deploy single function ends in runtime errors but deploying whole service is fine, feels like a web pack or babel issue

Hey Team,

I’ve got another stack moving towards production and as such we are working a lot on our live dev environments. I’ve just discovered a strange problem that feels to be related to web pack or babel loading. (for the record we are on web pack 3 and the appropriate other plugins).

If we deploy a service completely all is well, doesn’t matter if its a fresh deploy or updating the entire stack. If however I deploy a function the deployment process ends successfully but we get (randomly) one of the following errors:

1. the function borks at import {}… OR states that a function (that is a function working wonderfully if we do a clean deploy) does not exist.

So it feels like this is webpack-serverless issue but Im stumped on it.

Anyone got this?

That second error (function only works after full deploy) sounds suspiciously like you’re making a change that requires cloud formation to be updated. Remember that deploying a function only updates the code, not the entire cloud formation.

It would help if you can provide the exact error messages you’re getting.

nah just working inside the app code, haven’t modified the environment in days.

To replicate all I need to do is add a comment to any function and deploy that function and get this.

Syntax error in module ‘handler’: SyntaxError
import { cwbRESify } from ‘./lib/representors/RESifier.representor.library’;
^^^^^^
SyntaxError: Unexpected token import
at createScript (vm.js:56:10)
at Object.runInThisContext (vm.js:97:10)
at Module._compile (module.js:542:28)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:579:10)
at Module.load (module.js:487:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:446:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:438:3)
at Module.require (module.js:497:17)
at require (internal/module.js:20:19)

so its saying no bueno on the import that works if i deploy the whole thing.

That error definitely looks like it’s uploading the source instead of compiling it.

For what its worth, moved to 2.2.2 for serverless-webpack and add

package
individually: true

to serverless.yml