Brave New Variable Resolver World

Hello All,

I’ve found myself in a bit of chicken and egg situation. I’ve just embarked on upgrading to serverless 2.35.0 (from 1.67.3).

I noticed a depreciation warning:

Serverless: Deprecation warning: Variables resolver reports following resolution errors:
  - Variable syntax error at "resources.5.Resources.RoleCognitoAuthenticatedUser.Properties.Policies.0.PolicyDocument.Statement.2.Resource.Fn::Join.1.1": Missing variable closing bracket in /private/${cognito-identity.amazonaws.com:sub

From a next major this will be communicated with a thrown error.
  Set "variablesResolutionMode: 20210326" in your service config, to adapt to new behavior now
  More Info: https://www.serverless.com/framework/docs/deprecations/#NEW_VARIABLES_RESOLVER

Fair enough I thought, the line it is warning about is using some trickery to to split the trailing } on to a new line to avoid sls from interpreting the variable, the intented target being AWS CF.

Resource:
  Fn::Join:
    - ""
    -
      - Fn::GetAtt: [ Bucket, Arn ]
        - "/private/${cognito-identity.amazonaws.com:sub"
        - "}/*"

To resolve this I discoverd variableSyntax provider setting. I set it up the regex so that sls variable syntax is now ${{...}} and collapsed the - "}/* into the preceeding line. I then enabled variablesResolutionMode: 20210326 only to discover that as of release 2.31.0 these are mutualy exclusive (from change log: Variables: Disallow provider.variableSyntax with new resolve).

What is the approach to disambiguate between sls and AWS CF variables when running under the new variable reslover? Documentation found at https://www.serverless.com/framework/docs/deprecations/#NEW_VARIABLES_RESOLVER is of not much help.

For now I have resorted to removing the opt in to the new variable resolver and continue with variableSyntax approach.

@rdamico this is a sligthly tricky case. As per current spec used format matches Serverless variables.

Easy fix for now is that you can use Fn::Join to split "/private/${cognito-identity.amazonaws.com:sub" string in a way that Serverless variables resolution does not trigger. I assume following would work:

Fn::Join:
    - ""
    - - "/private/${cognito-identity.amazonaws.com"
      - ":sub"

Stil, this experience will be improved:

1. New variables resolver support escape characters, so e.g. "/private/\${cognito-identity.amazonaws.com:sub" won’t be picked. However, current shortcoming is that those escape characters are not cleared, hence at this point I cannot recommend this as solution. Track Variables: Clear escapes from escaped variables · Issue #9288 · serverless/serverless · GitHub for that
  2. With next major (v3) we will narrow allowed format for scope name, and just that will solve this issue. Track Variables: Make scope name format more strict · Issue #9289 · serverless/serverless · GitHub for progress on that
1 Like

Thank for the information! Will defintely track those issues.