What is the exact problem which serverless framework is trying to solve?

Okay . I come here after reading all the material which is out there on Serverless framework. I find the documentation simply goes round in round without answering a very simple question . What are the problems which I as a developer can solve using serverless framework? My life before using serverless framework and after serverless framework .

Can anyone answer this simple question?

Looks like no-one answered this question, but I’ll have a go!

Serverless framework, in my opinion, has the following purposes:

1. Simplifies the creation of AWS resources related to Lambda functions using infrastructure-as-code (e.g. API GW, event handling) - it is significantly more succint and easier to read than standard CloudFormation scripts. It build quite a lot of the “bolier-plate” AWS resources that you would otherwise have to create by hand.

2. Provides a useful libary for plug-ins and extensions that save you from having to create common deployment tools and patterns from scratch

3. Simplifies parameter and variable handling inside Serverless scripts compared to CloudFormation.

I would say that Serverless offers some advantages for creating CloudFormation resources, even if you don’t use any Lambda functions at all, although in this case, much of the serverless.yml would be identical to a CloudFormation script to do the same thing.

To be frank, the development experience for lambda leaves much to be desired. It’s hard to develop, build, and test code on your laptop that will work exactly in lambda. Especially for less AWS experienced devs. I feel like it’s a guessing game sometimes as to what I can expect from the event or context AWS passes to the function, forced to just spin up a lambda to output those objects so I know what properties they have. Maybe there’s a better way that I’m unaware of.

To be frank, the development experience for lambda leaves much to be desired. It’s hard to develop, build, and test code on your laptop that will work exactly in lambda. Especially for less AWS experienced devs. I feel like it’s a guessing game sometimes as to what I can expect from the event or context AWS passes to the function, forced to just spin up a lambda to output those objects so I know what properties they have. Maybe there’s a better way that I’m unaware Kodi nox of.