S3 credentials for putObject

So, I’m trying to write a plugin that will push static assets into my S3 bucket, but i can’t seem to get permissions.

In my constructor, I have:

this.provider = this.serverless.getProvider('aws');

And in my command action, I use:

this.provider.request('S3', 'putObject', {...}, service.provider.stage, service.provider.region)

But I get:

ServerlessError: Access Denied
    at Response.<anonymous> (.../server/node_modules/serverless/lib/plugins/aws/provider/awsProvider.js:168:20)
    at Request.<anonymous> (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:355:18)
    at Request.callListeners (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:105:20)
    at Request.emit (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:77:10)
    at Request.emit (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:668:14)
    at Request.transition (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:22:10)
    at AcceptorStateMachine.runTo (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:14:12)
    at .../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:26:10
    at Request.<anonymous> (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:38:9)
    at Request.<anonymous> (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:670:12)
    at Request.callListeners (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:115:18)
    at Request.emit (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:77:10)
    at Request.emit (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:668:14)
    at Request.transition (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:22:10)
    at AcceptorStateMachine.runTo (.../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:14:12)
    at .../server/node_modules/serverless/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:26:10

Is there some stages or other things I should be doing to ensure this action works?

Your Environment Information -----------------------------
Node Version: 4.6.1
Serverless Version: 1.4.0

I’m not sure if this is the same problem you are seeing, but I was getting Access Denied errors when attempting to put files to S3. I traced the error down to not having s3:PutObjectAcl permission in my IAM Role. (I did have s3:PutObject .)

If that’s not helpful - perhaps enable s3:* to see if this is an IAM issue. If enbling * fixed the problem - use this list to work out what other permisions you may be missing. http://docs.aws.amazon.com/IAM/latest/UserGuide/list_s3.html

If that dosen’t work, you could try activating CloudTrail - although to be honest I’ve had limited sucess with CT for debugging.

Good Luck

Hamish

1 Like

Thanks, but I think I’ve narrowed down the cause a little more.

All operations are normally done as the deploy role, whereas the bucket is owned by the “run” role, so I actually don’t have access to the bucket.

So now I need to figure out how to make the same call, but using the created role.

(Or just give my deploy role access to the s3 bucket)

Well, in fact, you were perfectly correct, @hamish

Thanks, again!

1 Like