Re-open: "Variables resolver deprecation: Cannot load file from outside of service folder"

For some reason, this was closed without an explanation or a workaround:

The question still stands unanswered – how do we import common configuration from outside of the service folder?

4 Likes

This has the same result as the OP in version 2.28.7. If this behavior is not allowed then it completely breaks the pattern for having shared configurations. This behavior began with 2.26.0:

`Serverless: Deprecation warning: Variables resolver reports following resolution errors:
          - Cannot resolve variable at "custom.common": Cannot load file from outside of service folder,
          - Cannot resolve variable at "custom.common": Cannot load file from outside of service folder,
          - Cannot resolve variable at "custom.common": Cannot load file from outside of service folder
        From a next major it we will be communicated with a thrown error.
        Set "variablesResolutionMode: 20210219" in your service config, to adapt to this behavior now
        More Info: https://www.serverless.com/framework/docs/deprecations/#NEW_VARIABLES_RESOLVER

`

1 Like

I’m glad others have reposted this, because I also retested last week on 2.28.6, after my original post was closed, hopeful that it was fixed. Alas it wasn’t, so I was puzzled why my post was closed without waiting for confirmation that it has indeed been fixed.

Hopefully it was a misunderstanding and the issue will be resolved soon; it should be pretty easy to recreate.

1 Like

I hope the issue will be resolved, I’m still seeing it in version 2.29.0. This functionality is pretty important to us.

Is it just a warning? The shared configs look like to be loaded correctly.

It does for now but the warning says the next major version will treat it as an error.

Hi,

same problem there,
this is very confusing, and if you look at the documentation about variables this is the example that is given…

Hi,

this will be a massive pain if you can’t use shared configs. We use a shared API Gateway, VPC, custom stage data that we share with 10+ services. We would have to duplicate these values in each service which would be a nightmare. I hope they are planning on providing an alternative method for managing config data like this.

Still an issue in 2.30.3

Just ran into this as well. Per their deprecations, this will not be supported moving forward: https://www.serverless.com/framework/docs/deprecations/#serverless-constructor-configconfigurationpath-requirement

I am hoping this is an unintentional deprecation message, as quite a common use case to import a file from outside the parent hierarchy.

It would be really appreciated if someone from Serverless themselves could investigate and respond, as my previous forum post looked like it was closed in error, but we haven’t heard anything in this thread.

3 Likes

Its a real worry for me too - I lean towards micro services and a level of shared config is very important…

1 Like

All my projects since I started using serverless have this configuration. It just makes sense to use shared config when you’re dealing with micro services.

They are screwing a lot of people if the deprecation pushes through.

@garethmcc I’d appreciate if you could take a look at this thread and possibly provide some clarity for us as you closed the original forum post regarding this believing it was fixed, but we’re still seeing this deprecation warning.

So I wanted to understand more about whether this deprecation warning is intentional, or perhaps some over zealous logic flagging something that there is no intention to remove in 3.0, and in that case we do not need to be alarmed.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Here’s the github issue:

Multi-service repository support (aka Lerna)

I think we can relax a bit… for now. :frowning: