Implementing newly-launched synchronous workflows for step functions

Hi all I have a scenario that is perfect for the Dec 2020 update to step functions: “Synchronous express workflows”. Express step functions can now block until complete, which means you can link them to the API Gateway and return a result to a web browser synchronously. The alternatives were messy.

I’m looking to do this with Serverless com — but it’s a pretty new feature. However, I think I can get away by breaking out into a CloudFormation template to specify the extra parameters. What I need to do is add API Gateway configuration along the lines of this:

integrationSubtype: "StepFunctions-StartSyncExecution"

Source

I wish there was a complete reference of Serverless.com documentation. The docs have a bunch of examples but there’s nothing definitive that I can find.

Anyone have thoughts on where to start?

@boxabirds you might have a look at this repo as an example GitHub - aws-samples/contact-form-processing-with-synchronous-express-workflows: This application uses a Synchronous Express workflow to analyse a contact form submission and provide customers with a case reference number. and add resources section into your serverless.yml

1 Like

Thanks – yes I saw that resource. Unfortunately I’m not sufficiently experienced to know how to translate AWS examples into Serverless com examples without a slow and error-prone test process.

I was stuck on this for awhile and couldn’t get an endpoint to use integration with StepFunctions… Instead I had to use Lambda to invoke a StepFunction state machine.

1 Like

Hi,

I just had similar use case. Like you said, it’s a new feature, serverless-step-functions plugin does not support it yet (https://github.com/serverless-operations/serverless-step-functions/issues/378).

I managed to make it work with CloudFormation so I though I will share it with you.
You need to use step functions of type express and Http API gateway.
Step functions need to be express type, because they offer synchronous execution.

You need to create:

1. Step function, e.g. by using serverless-step-functions plugin

stepFunctions:
       validate: true
      stateMachines:
        myStateMachine:
          type: EXPRESS
          tracingConfig:
            enabled: true
          id: MyStateMachine
         name: 'My step function
         definition: ${file(state-machines/state-machine.json)}

2. Execution role for HttpApi integration

InvokeStepFunctionRole:
        Type: AWS::IAM::Role
        Properties:
      AssumeRolePolicyDocument:
        Statement:
          - Effect: Allow
            Principal:
            Service:
              - apigateway.amazonaws.com
            Action:
             - sts:AssumeRole
      Policies:
       - PolicyName: InvokeStepFunctionPolicy
         PolicyDocument:
           Statement:
             - Effect: Allow
               Action:
                 - states:DescribeExecution
                 - states:StartSyncExecution
               Resource:
                 - !Ref MyStateMachine

3. Given you have a gateway already created (HttpApi) resource, you need to create integration

HttpApiStepFunctionIntegration:
      Type: AWS::ApiGatewayV2::Integration
      Properties:
       ApiId: !Ref HttpApi
       CredentialsArn: !GetAtt InvokeStepFunctionRole.Arn
       Description: 'Start my step machine step function'
       IntegrationType: AWS_PROXY
       IntegrationSubtype: StepFunctions-StartSyncExecution
       PayloadFormatVersion: "1.0"
       RequestParameters: {"Input": "$request.body", "StateMachineArn": "#{MyStateMachine}"}

• note: #{MyStateMachine} is serverless pseudo parameters syntax for !Ref MyStateMachine
  1. Http Api route with integration from point 3.

HttpApiRoute:
       DependsOn:
         - HttpApiStepFunctionIntegration
         - HttpApi
       Type: AWS::ApiGatewayV2::Route
       Properties:
         ApiId: !Ref HttpApi
         RouteKey: POST /start-stepfunction-sync
         Target: !Join ['/', ['integrations', !Ref HttpApiStepFunctionIntegration]]

The only drawback I noticed is the format of the response which cannot be mapped at the moment according to documentation, only headers and status codes can be mapped: [Modifying the response of the StartSyncExecution · Issue #6 · aws-samples/contact-form-processing-with-synchronous-express-workflows · GitHub]

Cheers,
jimmy

This is pretty late but just wanted to leave the message here just in case if anyone is looking for in the future. I was able to implement using the serverless configuration itself, without going to CloudFormation. Here it is:

stepFunctions:
  validate: true
  stateMachines:
    numbergeneratestatemachine:
      events:
        - http:
            path: step-functions/generate-number
            method: post
            action: StartSyncExecution
            request:
              template:
                application/json: |
                  #set( $body = $util.escapeJavaScript($input.json('$')) )
                  {
                    "input": "$body",
                    "stateMachineArn": "arn:aws:states:${self:provider.region}:${opt:aws-account-id}:stateMachine:MyStateMachine-api"
                  }
      type: EXPRESS
      id: MyStateMachine
      name: MyStateMachine-api
      definition:
        Comment: "Generate a number every 10 minutes"

The response from the API call looks like this:

{
  "billingDetails": {
    "billedDurationInMilliseconds": 200,
    "billedMemoryUsedInMB": 64
  },
  "executionArn": "arn:aws:states:xxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxx:express:MyStateMachine-api:xxxxxxx:xxxxxxx",
  "input": "{\"test\":true}",
  "inputDetails": {
    "__type": "com.amazonaws.swf.base.model#CloudWatchEventsExecutionDataDetails",
    "included": true
  },
  "name": "xxxxxxxxx",
  "output": "{\"number\":46,\"message\":\"event number\"}",
  "outputDetails": {
    "__type": "com.amazonaws.swf.base.model#CloudWatchEventsExecutionDataDetails",
    "included": true
  },
  "startDate": 1.634283447457E9,
  "stateMachineArn": "arn:aws:states:xxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxx:stateMachine:MyStateMachine-api",
  "status": "SUCCEEDED",
  "stopDate": 1.634283447561E9,
  "traceHeader": "Root=1-xxxxxxx;Sampled=1"
}
1 Like

This was very helpful, thank you very much!.. can I process response to return a shorter one? i.e. output

Thanks for posting your reply. To your point, I just posted a question a few minutes ago before I found this thread on this very subject. I will give your solution a try.

Jay

When Response Parameter mapping is too limited to satisfy requirements, responses may be transformed in one of the states in your state machine prior to returning the response thru HTTP API.

For simple, predictable response transformations, I utilize the built-in JsonPath features with a Pass State in lieu of, or, in addition to a success state.

For more complex transformation, implement lambda customized to transform responses to whatever degree needed before returning to the HTTP API.

The above approach works well with WS API too.

Cheers!

Jay

Sorry about the delay. Yes, you can. Set the response template as follows:

template:
  application/json: |
    #set( $output = $util.parseJson($input.json('$.output')) )
    $output

This will return just the output from the statefunction response.

How to make the value of stateMachineArn dynamic instead of hardcoding in the request?