Dynamic Bucket name Logical ID

aws

I have a question about logical IDs that are created for S3 Buckets. We have bucket names that are suffixed with our stage name media-${opt:stage} . Originally we didn’t have a resource with a matching logical ID needed but we want to add LifecycleConfiguration to expire objects on the bucket so we have created a resource for that like so

S3BucketMediadevelop:
      Type: "AWS::S3::Bucket"
      Properties:
        BucketName: ${env:MEDIA_STORAGE_BUCKET_PREFIX}-${opt:stage}
        LifecycleConfiguration:
          Rules:
            - Id: "Delayed media expiration"
              TagFilters:
                  - Key: "deleted-media"
                    Value: "true"
              ExpirationInDays: 30

But the logical ID won’t match when a stage other than develop is deployed. Is there a way to dynamically create the Resource Logical ID like S3BucketMedia${opt:stage}

1 Like

@justinffs I don’t think it’s possible to have a dynamic Logical ID for your resources.

Can I ask why you need a dynamic Logical ID? I don’t quite understand how the LifecycleConfiguration added that requirement. It’s possible I’m missing something. :slight_smile:

If you deploy to a different stage, it will be to a different CloudFormation stack entirely, so you don’t have to worry about uniqueness. Could you just do this:

S3BucketMedia:
      Type: "AWS::S3::Bucket"
      Properties:
        BucketName: ${env:MEDIA_STORAGE_BUCKET_PREFIX}-${opt:stage}
        LifecycleConfiguration:
          Rules:
            - Id: "Delayed media expiration"
              TagFilters:
                  - Key: "deleted-media"
                    Value: "true"
              ExpirationInDays: 30

where your bucket has the same logical ID in all stacks, regardless of stage?

0 Likes

Thanks Alex,

I might have left out some details.

We deployed previously without specifying the resource just specifying an event so as far as I can tell serverless creates a logical id based on the bucket name, and our bucket name had the stage in it. Adding LifecycleConfiguration need to be done on the resource if I recall.

resize:
    handler: lambdas/functions/resize/index.handler
    description: 'Creates resized thumbnails once a thumbnail image is uploaded and resizes media when requested resource does not exist in s3.'
    events:
      - s3:
         bucket: media-${opt:stage}
         events:
          - s3:ObjectCreated:Put
          - s3:ObjectCreated:Post
          - s3:ObjectCreated:CompleteMultipartUpload
         rules:
           - suffix: .thumb.jpg
    package:
      exclude:
        - lambdas/**
      include:
        - lambdas/functions/resize/**

The problem is that these buckets already exist and have data in it that can’t be lost. I would like to avoid having to migrate them to a different bucket, but I can’t change the logical id tag in S3 I get an error Your TagKey cannot be prefixed with aws:
Which I think makes sense.

Is there a way around this? Can the bucket specified in the event point to the resource so the bucket logical ID is not dynamically generated?

1 Like

I see. Thanks for that additional context, @justinffs.

I don’t know for sure if this will help, but there is a plugin for using S3 events for an existing bucket. I haven’t used it, and I don’t know for sure that it will play nicely with the CloudFormation you’re trying to do. I’d recommend testing carefully in a staging environment before rolling out to your prod bucket :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you find a solution to this. I am running into the same problem.

0 Likes