Can not deploy at us-west-1

I cannot deploy my function to us-west-1 (other regions are good), and find the problem has been posted in AWS Discussion Forum, so … does that mean I cannot use serverless to develop, or I can use some way to bypass this problem?

Thank you

deploy verbosed log:

> sls deploy -v

Serverless: Creating Stack...
Serverless: Checking Stack create progress...
CloudFormation - CREATE_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::CloudFormation::Stack - samples-dev
CloudFormation - CREATE_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::S3::Bucket - ServerlessDeploymentBucket
CloudFormation - CREATE_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::S3::Bucket - ServerlessDeploymentBucket
CloudFormation - CREATE_COMPLETE - AWS::S3::Bucket - ServerlessDeploymentBucket
CloudFormation - CREATE_COMPLETE - AWS::CloudFormation::Stack - samples-dev
Serverless: Stack create finished...
Serverless: Packaging service...
Serverless: Uploading CloudFormation file to S3...
Serverless: Uploading service .zip file to S3 (1.63 KB)...
Serverless: Updating Stack...
Serverless: Checking Stack update progress...
CloudFormation - CREATE_COMPLETE - AWS::CloudFormation::Stack - samples-dev
CloudFormation - UPDATE_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::CloudFormation::Stack - samples-dev
CloudFormation - CREATE_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::ApiGateway::RestApi - ApiGatewayRestApi
CloudFormation - CREATE_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::IAM::Role - IamRoleLambdaExecution
CloudFormation - CREATE_FAILED - AWS::ApiGateway::RestApi - ApiGatewayRestApi
CloudFormation - CREATE_FAILED - AWS::IAM::Role - IamRoleLambdaExecution
CloudFormation - UPDATE_ROLLBACK_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::CloudFormation::Stack - samples-dev
CloudFormation - UPDATE_ROLLBACK_COMPLETE_CLEANUP_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::CloudFormation::Stack - samples-dev
CloudFormation - DELETE_IN_PROGRESS - AWS::IAM::Role - IamRoleLambdaExecution
CloudFormation - DELETE_COMPLETE - AWS::ApiGateway::RestApi - ApiGatewayRestApi
CloudFormation - DELETE_COMPLETE - AWS::IAM::Role - IamRoleLambdaExecution
CloudFormation - UPDATE_ROLLBACK_COMPLETE - AWS::CloudFormation::Stack - samples-dev
Serverless: Deployment failed!

The Serverless Framework is powered by CloudFormation, so if there’s a CloudFormation bug, there usually isn’t a way around that.

Is there is a reason you absolutely must use us-west-1 ? Could you use us-west-2 or us-east-1 for now until that problem is resolved?

Thanks for your reply @johncmckim!

Because our old machines and databases are all in us-west-1, I remember amazon is not support cross region VPC and database access. (I am not quiet sure. I am beginner for this, these days I want to change the API into AWS lambda, and saw serverless is a good infrastructure to start it)

Or can I create in lambda us-west-2 and make it available access to RDS in us-west-1? then I can use us-west-2 to solve this.

Ah ok. Serverless is a good way to start.

You might have some trouble accessing your old resources from another region depending on your network setup. It’s hard to know without knowing what your existing infrastructure is.

Another option to get you up and running might be to create the Lambda functions through the serverless framework and the API Gateway manually for now. This way you can learn about API Gateway too. Once CloudFormation resolves the problem you can create HTTP events in the Serverless framework.

Thanks @johncmckim,

Cool, after I commented the event http part of config, it can now create successfully.

The reason why I choose serverless is that I feel it’s hard to use AWS GUI console, there is so many buttons and forms, and cannot use git to track changes. And serverless is text based, so I can save to git. It’s easier to track and find bugs.

Hope that the amazon can resolve the problem faster :slight_smile:

1 Like

:100: that’s why I like it too. Infrastructure as code is great. Hopefully it’s a temporary issue and you can use those events again soon.