What's Missing in Our Docs?

There’s no examples of custom authorizers in the new 1.0 docs. There were examples in the old docs though.

I have seen references to setting the profile in several places and suggestions on what to do- But I do not see any definitive documentation on setting the profile to non-default profile. I have searched hi and low for this.

I am also confused as to whether the serverless.env.yml suppose to exist or is just for backwards compatibilty. Many posts are saying that it is gone but when a new project is created- it still appears.

Since Serverless is changing so much these days, I would like some more visibility in the docs to educate us that the framework is currently in flux. At the top of the main readme on the github page, I would love to see something like:

Serverless v1.0 is currently under development. The master branch reflects the most recent changes. The latest npm release is 1.0.0-beta.2. We are currently working on release candidate 1 (see milestone v1.0.0-rc.1).

On a related note, I would also love it if you would give us a few more updates in the Gitter channel. For example, I was confused when the beta-3 milestone went away. I quick post like “update: we’ve changed the the v1.0.0-beta-3 milestone to v1.0.0-rc1” would be very helpful. It looks to me that you intend for Gitter to be community discussion and want to reserve direct communication to Github and this forum, but I would greatly appreciate the updates in Gitter, even if you don’t want to answer questions there.

I just found the mailing list linked from the main Github page, so it will be interesting to see how much that gets used.

@joshuadutton we’re definitely sending out emails for each new release.

We’re now moving closer to V1 final release and just update our docs to have a much better and clearer structure. We had lots of docs hidden way deep in our code and that is all cleaned up now. Hope this makes things a lot easier going forward.

Please add some docs on migrating from v0.5 to v1.0

2 Likes

Yup we’ll add those before the final V1 release.

Thanks @flomotlik. What is the tentative v1 release date?

Somewhere between Soon to Very Soon :D. I can’t really give more specific dates, but we’re releasing the first Release Candidate today.

1 Like

Kudos… flo… thanks a lot

What is the new way to access process.env.SERVERLESS_PROJECT and process.env.SERVERLESS_STAGE from within scripts like this dynamodb script.

I’m aware that project is no longer available, but just wondering how to access the service name and stage via the new v1 variables in file like this.

Thanks,
Kevin

@kevinold at the moment adding custom environment variables inside of the lambda functions is not possible, we’re working on something that should hopefully be coming out soonish to make this possible. Very important feature. For now you could use something like dotenv to make this work: https://www.npmjs.com/package/dotenv

“What’s missing in the docs?”

The biggest thing I have not been able to find is actual technical documentation (specification/detailed style documentation of APIs and available features)

I’ve worked through The getting started guide, and anything I could find around there, and it all got me going - that’s great. :+1:

But what it didn’t do is document what I’m using.

For example, I can see that one possible signature of an event handler is (event, context, cb), but where is the documentation of this?

What is the first parameter of cb(), which in all examples is set to null?

What does cb() do with the second argument? (I see from experimentation that this is returned in the HTTP payload … for an http event. But what about other events?)

Similarly, where is the documentation of serverless.yml?

In the guide, I saw an example that said you can do -http: GET greet

This doesn’t actually work with serverless-offline. In finding out how to make it work, I discovered you can do

-http:
    path: greet
    method: GET

… which does work with serverless-offline

Where is this documented?

If there’s some tech doc I’m missing, I’ll be delighted to find it, and maybe a more prominent pointer to it is needed?

1 Like

“ease the access to fine details. In the “full” serverless.yml file I’d like to have links to the specific docs (ie API Gateway4) right there”

Neither of the links in your post appear to be valid. They look like the sort of details I’ve been looking for: are there current versions available?

I’m not sure how to include dependencies/common code that isn’t a function with a handler (e.g. helper functions). I’d like to see more on packaging in general, and more complete serverless.yml example files.

Hi,

Is there any single document or page from where I can get list of all keywords which can be used in serverless.yml file?

E.g. I found this hack useful for request header.

resources:
  Resources:
     ApiGatewayMethodApiRegisterPost:
        Properties:
          RequestParameters:
            "method.request.header.Authorization": true

But now I need to set the same for API Gateway Custom Authorizers.

Thanks
Shailesh

I’m not able to find docs on importing dependancies.
in v0.5, you could include a requirements.txt and it would package dependancies via pip
how does this work in v1.0 ?

Thanks @flomotlik! Is this the issue I should be tracking? https://github.com/serverless/serverless/issues/1455

I’d love to see an example of the proper way to manage existing roles with Lamda’s. Here’s my reasoning. Most org’s already have established users/roles/permissions and will want to simply add lambda’s to those resources. A straightforward example in the docs would help with clarification/adoption.

Would be good to see some documentation on the deploymentBucket property added here.

I’m running into issues with it and I wanted to cross check my understanding.